HERCULES@Sesame: two weeks training school
An HERCULES school (Higher European Research Course for Users of Large Experimental Systems) will be organised in SESAME (Amman, Jordan) from 26 October to 7 November 2019.
The two-weeks school will train young researchers on the broad basics, techniques of synchrotron radiation and applications in the fields of Material Science, Cultural Heritage, Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Biomedicine, Structural Biology and Environment.
The school, following the principles of the Hercules school, will include:
- Lectures from internationally recognised experts. See the list and preliminary programme below
- tutorials and practicals in small groups, including on SESAME beamlines
The entire school will be taught in English.
The following experimental techniques will be covered:
- X-ray Absorption spectroscopy
- Infrared spectroscopy
- Soft X-ray spectroscopy
- Powder and single crystal diffraction
- Macromolecular crystallography
- Small-angle X-ray scattering
- X-ray imaging & tomography
Who can apply ?
- PhD students
- Post-doctoral fellows
- Young researchers (with a PhD)
- Working in Middle East and neighbouring countries, including all SESAME members
- The school welcomes applications regardless of ethnic origin, religion, citizenship, political or other opinion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, or disability
- For participants coming from SESAME members: funding from the Open Sesame European project will cover travel to SESAME as well as on-site living expenses
- Participants will be selected based on the merits and scientific quality of their application (including CV, motivation and recommendation letters)
- Application is now opened: deadline for application 20 June 2019
- Confirmation of selection to participants: July 2019
- 26 October 2019: beginning of the school
- Application is now open !
- Apply on https://indico.esrf.fr/indico/event/29/.